An essay of 800-1000 words
- Go to the Govtrack.us website page for bills that have been made into law (Links to an external site.) for the current Congress. (Note: This is not a government website, you can also go to Congress.gov (Links to an external site.)). Click on a title of a law that interests you.
- Create a summary of the goal of this law in your own words.
- Use the following following questions to summarize how your legislation got passed:
- Who introduced the legislation? What party do they belong to?
- When did it go to Committee? What Committees did it go to? How many Democrats or Republicans are on each Committee? (Check out the Committees link).
- When did it pass the House? If the information is available, how many Democrats and Republicans voted for or against this legislation? How many didn’t vote (abstained)? (Check out the House Votes on Passage link on the bill overview page.)
- When did it pass the Senate? If the information is available, how many Democrats and Republicans voted for or against this legislation? How many didn’t vote (abstained)?
- When did the President sign it?
- Create a chart or summary of your information. You can use this to help you, although you are welcome to format this information however you would like.