Create a professional Portfolio of a nurse practitioner that provides evidence of education, skill sets, accomplishments, goals, competencies, professional background, a dedication to life-long learning, and anything else that validates your commitment to your profession. A professional Portfolio is a tool to help you prepare and plan your career as well as assist you in role acquisition. Once you complete your Portfolio, much of what you need for the next phase of your career will already be collected!
- Title Page (APA format)
- Table of contents
- Personal Philosophy as a nurse practitioner: Write a brief page on your philosophy of advanced practice nursing in primary care.
- Nurse Practitioner Role definition: Write a brief paper that includes a definition and characterization of the Nurse Practitioner role in the current U.S. healthcare environment.
- Create a nurse practitioner resume: Develop a resume that is no more than three pages and includes contact information, at least three professional goals, all undergraduate degrees and certifications, all previous formal education, recent continuing education or training, employment history, and accomplishments such as awards or publications.
- Nurse Practitioner job description: Describe an ideal NP position with details of duties and responsibilities (look at NP job descriptions on the Web for structure), work environment, patient population, interdisciplinary team members, salary requirements with expected benefits, scope of practice (i.e. independence vs. collaboration), and hours.
- Include a cover Letter: Write a cover letter for the above position you just described. Make sure your cover letter includes a career goal, a paragraph that explains why you are a perfect fit for this job and how your background, training, and education qualifies you for this job.
- Recommendations: Obtain three letters of recommendation and include these with your resume.
- National Certification: Describe step by step what will need to do to become nationally certified as an NP (ANCC or AANP) in the state of Florida. Include a list of the requirements needed for to apply for national certification as a Family Nurse practitioner or Adult Nurse Practitioner. What is the minimum score on the certification exam to pass for Florida? How will you prepare for the exam? (Be specific on what you plan to do such as attend a national review course.)
- Scholarly work of a Nurse Practitioner: Include an exemplar of a scholarly paper in APA format) on the relevance of evidence based practice in primary care (you may use a previous submitted Assignment).
- Clinical Judgment: Include an exemplar of a case study that demonstrates your critical thinking skills, diagnostic skills, utilization of evidenced based practice, and clinical judgment, pharmacological management, follow up plan, and how you would promote preventive care for this patient (you may use a previous Assignment).
Plan for Lifelong learning: Describe a plan for how to meet continuing professional development, practice hours, and continuing education as required by your State Board of Nursing and your credentialing organization. Specifically, do you plan on using online CEUs, publishing, attending national seminars and conferences?